What was today's re-installation of Edgerator Pro about?

A forum for all EdgeRater users

Moderator: Chris White

nibor200

What was today's re-installation of Edgerator Pro about?

Post by nibor200 »

When I went to open my copy of Edgerater today it automatically went to an install screen that did not have a clear explanation of what was about to happen. I was worried I'd lose all of my custom stuff in case it was a glitch on my computer system that initiated the install window.

After opening and closing it several times and finding nothing on the Edgerater site about an upgrade or fix installation I went ahead and let it install.
After it finished Edgerater opened up fine, and all my stuff was still there and checking the "About" button at the top of the Home screen it says it is version 13.0.0.58.

Does anyone know what this install accomplished?

I checked the "What's New" button at the top of the Home screen but the info there apparently has not been updated since Nov 15, 2013 and the Template Version is still at 2014.11.1.....

Thanks,
Ed S.
PS. It did remove the Edgerater icon from my desktop and placed it in the Start button menu on my Windows 7 machine.
Chris White

Re: What was today's re-installation of Edgerator Pro about?

Post by Chris White »

Hi Ed,

To ensure that the software is secure and not tampered with it is signed with a code-signing certificate that has been issued to EdgeRater LLC by a code signing authority.

The certificate expired last December and needed to be renewed. After this process the installation technology (Microsoft ClickOnce) did what it thought was necessary to install the software update on your computer, which made it look like it was doing a fresh install.

I am unable to change the behavior of this technology but it has been developed by Microsoft to ensure the safety of software on your PC.

Sorry for the confusion.
Chris.