Chart Designer not working on SymbolList having 1 symbol

A forum for all EdgeRater users

Moderator: Chris White

nibor200

Chart Designer not working on SymbolList having 1 symbol

Post by nibor200 »

Chris,
Because I am still waiting for a response on the question I asked in your Support web form I decided to create an ASCII data file for one symbol to see if the problem duplicated itself. Now I have a new problem...

Edgerater recognizes and gets the data for that one symbol, which I can verify in the Snapshot View but when I go to Chart Designer there is no data shown and at the top of the blank chart is Symbol Not Found(Check Active Symbol List). No matter how many times I click on the active symbol list and symbol name no chart appears.

However, if I then click on the EdgeXcel Templates tab and run the Linear Regression Analysis Template, the Values tab appears with a row of data for my one symbol; and double clicking on a cell in that row of data brings up a chart of my symbol with candlesticks for each bar of the entire data snapshot.

1. Do you have any idea why is the data for that symbol is showing up for the Template chart but not the Chart Designer Chart?

2. Did you receive my other query via the Support Web form?

Thanks,
Ed S.
nibor200

Re: Chart Designer not working on SymbolList having 1 symbol

Post by nibor200 »

Hey Chris,

Regarding my 2 questions in my previous post...

1. I subsequently tried a Symbol List with just 2 symbols and when I clicked on the Chart Designer tab the first symbol in the symbol list was highlighted but the chart was blank with the very same error msg.
When I clicked on the first symbol nothing happened on the chart but when I clicked on the 2nd one the chart appeared and when I clicked on the 1st symbol again the chart changed to that symbol.
I then tested against some of the symbol list that came with my copy of Edgerator Pro and all of them fail to display a chart for the first highlighted symbol in the corresponding symbol list until a different symbol is selected in the symbol list and then you can go back to the 1st symbol and get its chart displayed.

I think this may be a bug if it was not intended for some reason as a symbol list with only 1 symbol will never display in the chart designer tab.

2. I solved the missing trades issue, as I had not realized that in the Trade Simulation tab, the Portfolio Rules section of the Portfolio Settings window is always hidden as a drop down and it has a default setting of $1,000 per trade.

Since the symbol I was trade simulating went from ~$800 per share to over ~$1,000 a share over a 3 year period, Edgerater could not buy 1 share at the minimum $1,000 per trade so it did not display any more trades once the price exceeded a $1,000. Once I changed the minimum to 100 shares per trade instead of a $ limit, the simulation proceeded to cover all of my timing list entry and exit dates.

Thanks,
Ed S.
Chris White

Re: Chart Designer not working on SymbolList having 1 symbol

Post by Chris White »

It appears that the chart is only advanced to the next symbol when it detects that the symbol has changed in the symbol list. However if your list only has one symbol you can never select a different symbol to initiate the 'change'. In the templates, you can get the symbol to change because it is detecting changes in the cell selection.

This is a bug in the program and I will be fixing it soon. The workaround is to use a list with more than one symbol and then select a different symbol and go back to the desired symbol.

Thanks,

Chris.