"add to entries"

A forum for all EdgeRater users

Moderator: Chris White

ivanf

"add to entries"

Post by ivanf »

HI Chris,
just finished watching your latest video re: Jeff Scott template, there was functionality in Edgerater that I wasn't really aware of, that is the "add to entries" feature which can allow the user to add either current or past entries from the result of using a template and then do further trade simulation using this entry list.

But ! From what I can see this only allows entries for one date to be added and tested, what would be really nice is if a user can add entries from many dates and then run simulation on this ( eg testing different exit criteria for a given list of "manual" entries)

Is it possible to populate a spreadsheet with multiple columns of entries and "import " this into Edgerater to allow for further testing ? If not, I think this would be a feature that would be beneficial to many users, what do you reckon about including this in a future release ?

regards
Ivan
Chris White

Re: "add to entries"

Post by Chris White »

Hi Ivan,

It's a good idea and I have been experimenting with such a feature that allows manual creation of a spreadsheet with dated columns. I'm sure this will become a feature soon.

But... right now in the existing software you can do something else to populate multiple dated columns. There are two methods:

1. Run the template for a historical date and then select the stocks of interest and press 'Add to Entries' button. The stocks will be added to a column for the historical date. You can then run the template for another date and do the same process thereby ending up with a column for each date that you run the template for.
Running a template for an historical date
Running a template for an historical date
template_historical.png (82.3 KiB) Viewed 17029 times
2. Run the template once and then pick and choose stocks to add to the Entries and Exits tab. Each time specifying an Entry Date via the calendar control to the right of the 'Add to Entries' button.
Add Stocks to entries using a specific date
Add Stocks to entries using a specific date
template_addtoentries.png (80.44 KiB) Viewed 17029 times
Take a look at those two methods, they may meet your needs.

Chris
ivanf

Post by ivanf »

HI Chris,

originally that's what I was trying to do, run the template for a historical date, highlight some symbols, save it to the respective date, then run again for the next date, save again etc. But what I found was in my entries tab, it only saved the last date's entries each time, nothing from the preceding dates , hence my email to you asking for the functionality.

Am I doing something obviously wrong ?

regards
Ivan
Chris White

Post by Chris White »

Hi Ivan,

You are correct, every time you hit the 'Add to Entries' button the currently highlighted stocks replace any existing entries.

I'm working on a way to allow a worksheet to be used for manual entries.
nibor200

Post by nibor200 »

Hey Chris,

I also would like to use a list of specific entry and exit dates as a timing list to backtest a group of stock symbols.

Have you finished "... working on a way to allow a worksheet to be used for manual entries" ?

If not, when you do finish will you post a reply to this forum indicating when you finish and also when it will be implemented either in Edgerater Pro or one of Edgerater Templates?

Thanks,
Ed S.
nibor200

Post by nibor200 »

I believe I have figured out the solution on how "to use a list of specific entry and exit dates as a timing list to backtest a group of stock symbols" by using the chart script "Date" reference function as follows:

cond1:=39759-date==0;
cond2:=39797-date==0;
cond3:=39804-date==0;
cond4:=39822-date==0;
event: cond1|cond2|cond3|cond4;

what the script above represents is 4 separate Exit dates from a timing list I obtained from another service I use. The Date reference function is simply an array of all of the individual bar dates stored as Excel numeric dates(11/07/2008 = 39759,etc.).
You will need a condition for each entry date in your entry chart script and a separate condition for each of your exit dates in your exit chart script. The event line has each condition separted by the "|" which is the chart script "Or" command.

Basically, when Edgerater runs either the Entry or Exit Chart Script as it goes thru each bar date for a given stock it compares that dates numeric value in the Date array to each of our stored Cond lines and if they are equal then their subtraction equals 0 which is a True result making it an entry/exit date candidate.

What I don't know yet is if there is a limit on how many Or commands I can have in an Event? and what the continuation line symbol is in ChartScript??

I'm keeping this post brief, but;If anyone is actually interested in this methodology I'll explain, in another post, how to quickly convert dates using Excel into finished chart script lines so you can copy them to Edgerater Pro.

Thanks,
Ed S.